Bring the Heat brings some fine pointers for those who might, you know, knock back a few this season. Read them all but these are my favorites!
8. When the bartender is slammed, resist the powerful urge to order a slightly-dirty, very-dry, in-and-out, super-chilled half-and-half martini with a lemon twist. Limit orders to beer, straight shots and two-part cocktails.
28. If you can’t afford to tip, you can’t afford to drink in a bar. Go to the liquor store.
30. Never complain about the quality or brand of a free drink.
66. Asking a bartender what beers are on tap when the handles are right in front of you is the equivalent of saying, “I’m an idiot.”
67. Never ask a bartender “what’s good tonight?” They do not fly in the scotch fresh from the coast every morning.
One I would add is this. NEVER, EVER tell the bartender to “hook you up”. People who say that expect extra booze and never tip well if they tip at all. Get your drink, tip well, and you will be remembered next round!
Oh, and NEVER whistle or snap your fingers at the bartender, unless you want to be ignored!