Props to this lady. I hate the pretense of golf, and the sheer boredom watching it is, but this gal rocks!
Holmqvist was on the fourth hole at the Royal Canberra Golf Club on Tuesday during a pre-qualifier for the LPGA Tour’s ISPS Handa Australian Open in Yarralumla, Australia.
She felt a sharp pain in her ankle. She looked down and noticed a spider with the markings of a Black Widow.
That’s when most people would panic (and yours truly would start sobbing), but not the young Swede. Rather than seek medical attention, Holmqvist decided to perform impromptu surgery.
As Holmqvist’s leg started to swell and the pain became intense, she made the quick decision to take matters into her own hands (she’d just been informed that a Black Widow bite can kill a child in as little as 30 minutes). She pulled a tee out of her pocket (“it was the only thing I had handy,” she told Svensk Golf) and used it to cut open the wound so she could squeeze out the venom and keep it from spreading inside her body.
“A clear fluid came out,” she said. “It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever done, but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible.”
Golf balls? Really? Well, if Sister Toldjah says it is so, it is so.
This article is a couple of weeks old but I just came across it and felt it was too good not to share (via Cump):
London, England (CNN) — Research teams at the Danish Golf Union have discovered it takes between 100 to 1,000 years for a golf ball to decompose naturally. A startling fact when it is also estimated 300 million balls are lost or discarded in the United States alone, every year. It seems the simple plastic golf ball is increasingly becoming a major litter problem.
The scale of the dilemma was underlined recently in Scotland, where scientists — who scoured the watery depths in a submarine hoping to discover evidence of the prehistoric Loch Ness monster — were surprised to find hundreds of thousands of golf balls lining the bed of the loch.
With an increasing number of golf balls discarded each year, the Danish Golf Association devised a number of tests to determine the environmental impact of golf balls on their surroundings.
It was found that during decomposition, the golf balls dissolved to release a high quantity of heavy metals. Dangerous levels of zinc were found in the synthetic rubber filling used in solid core golf balls. When submerged in water, the zinc attached itself to the ground sediment and poisoned the surrounding flora and fauna.
Local government ministers in Scotland have also complained about the level of golf ball littering. UK lawmaker Patrick Harvie told CNN: “From the moon to the bottom of Loch Ness, golf balls are humanity’s signature litter in the most inaccessible locations.”
So THAT is why the Loch Ness Monster is so peeved! Getting hit by golf balls year after year…..