After his recent 21-hour filibuster-style marathon speech on Obamacare, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz found himself heckled over and over again by liberal activists during remarks at a conservative conference in Washington D.C. on Friday.
The constant interrupting by hecklers throughout his speech at the Values Voter Summit led the Republican lawmaker to throw out a number of crowd-pleasing one-liners:
- In response to one heckler, Cruz said: “Thank you, sir, for being here. You know, look, it is a great thing that people can express their First Amendment rights. And I only wish the Obama administration respected First Amendment rights that much.”
- To another heckler, Cruz responded: “Ma’am, thank you for being here. I wish you would participate in the democratic process through speaking respectfully. … It seems that President Obama’s paid political operatives are out in force today. And you know why? Because the men and women in this room scare the living daylights out of them.”
- Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: “You know what? I’m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? I’m actually glad that the president’s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.”
- When another heckler yelled out a question, Cruz responded: “You know what’s striking, actually? In the course of this brief speech, we’ve heard more questions than President Obama has allowed in the last year.”
- The heckling then led Cruz to “make an offer” to Obama. “I would welcome the president, if he wants to get a hundred of his most rabid political operative in a room, I’ll answer their questions on television as long as he likes. And in exchange, all that I would ask, Mr. President, is you take not a hundred, but ten of the men and women in this room, and spend 30 minutes answering their questions for the American people.”
- To another liberal activist, Cruz responded: “Oh, they don’t want the truth to be heard. They definitely don’t want the truth to be heard.”
- After the crowd broke into chants of “USA, USA” in response to another interrupted, Cruz said: “You know the nice thing? The nice thing is the left will always always tell you who they fear. You. They fear the American people.”
Cruz received a rock-star-like reception from the conservatives in attendance. “I receive that blessing. And let me say to each and everyone of you, I am inspired by you. I am invigorated by your passion for this great country,” he said.
I wish all the Republicans whining about how Ted Cruz is “bad” for the party would remember just one thing. When Democrats fear a political opponent, they attack them with ferocity. And now they are attacking Ted Cruz. They attack who they fear most. Note, last year, the Democrats did not attack Mitt Romney during the primaries did they? No, they praised him, called him a strong candidate, and talked him up. They did that because they WANTED to run against him. Yet the GOP establishment ignored common sense and did all they could to make sure Romney won the nomination. Likewise, the same Republicans are ignoring common sense and helping Democrats attack Senator Cruz.
When will they learn?