I ran across this piece at Campus Reform where Christina Hoff Sommers notes how the Left is killing free speech, debate, and critical thinking with their safe spaces, and “check your privilege” nonsense
Suppression of free speech, whether it’s designated free speech zones, safe spaces censoring speech, or students disrupting events, has become commonplace on college campuses.
At a Heritage Foundation panel discussion Thursday examining modern-day violations of the First Amendment, panelist Christina Hoff Sommers put the violations of free speech on campuses at the forefront of her discussion, saying that she has witnessed a marked deterioration in academic discourse over the years she has spent touring college campuses.
Now, of course, no one is allowed to dissent with any Leftist talking point. If they do they are demonized as some sort of “ist” or “phobe” racist, sexist, Islamaphobe, Homophobe. And, any attempt at honest, open debate? Not on the Neo-Marxists watch!
Sommers said many of the problems stem from “intersectional feminism,” a concept that she claimed began as an attempt to address the ill-treatment of minority groups within the feminist movement, but has since devolved into tribalism and the bullying of whites and males.
Instead of encouraging discussion and the formation of logical arguments, she pointed out, whites and males are now told to “check their privilege” and reflexively concede any position advanced by marginalized groups.
If you are not a woman or a minority, your opinions are discredited, not on their merit, but on your race or sex, which Sommers claimed is dividing people rather than bringing them together, because individuals are encouraged to identify with a specific race or gender, rather than simply identifying with all people.
Of course! The Left is dividing people, making them believe that everything about them is defined by their skin color, gender, or their “identity”. Their next step is to make everyone feel like a victim of mistreatment, and discrimination. In short, the Left, which used to rant against discrimination, is now creating it and using it for power. Everything has been flipped on its head.
Once being color blind was championed, but now, it is vilified as bigotry. Once, judging people by their skin color was, rightfully called out as bigotry. Now? Now everyone’s entire worth, or worthlessness is determine solely by their pigmentation. Once, Liberals spoke of open-mindedness, and dialogue, now? Now such things will get you in deep trouble. In short, the Left is allowing their true colors to show.
Tolerance? Diversity? Ha! These are values the Left abhors. Instead the Left demands complete and total submission to their ideology. Anyone, even Liberals who oppose the Left’s goals are to be destroyed by any means necessary.
More than 100 students walked out on retired U.S. Army Lt. Colonel Allen West on Thursday as he began a speech at Saint Louis University to discuss the threat of radical Islam.
The students protesters — led by the SLU Rainbow Alliance and the Muslim Students’ Association — had arrived early and filled many of the seats in the two-story auditorium where West was slated to speak. As he took the stage they stood up and filed out.
At issue is West’s use of the term “radical Islam” — also the subject of his speech.
Last week an administrator at Saint Louis University told the conservative and Republican students organizing the talk that they were not allowed to use the words “radical Islam” on advertisements for the event, reported Young America’s Foundation, which sponsored the talk.
The hard truth about these indoctrinated egg heads is this. Their safe space involves them placing their heads directly up their behinds. They prefer being ignorant, and perpetually aggrieved to critical thinking and dealing with reality. Colonel West, as you might imagine, is not foolish enough to coddle these whiners. We should all follow his example. Nothing good will ever come out of anyone shutting down an exchange of ideas. If you are offended, or do not believe in ideals expressed, then please feel welcome to debate, or refute those ideals. Freedom of speech goes all ways folks. What these students did is nothing more than intellectual cowardice.
The Left is evil for many reasons.
The Left supports the butchering of babies in the womb
The Left prefers good people be disarmed, rendering them far more vulnerable to violent criminals
The Left, despite their best rhetoric, do not embrace freedom of speech, religion, or association
The Left supports economic policies that punishes success, hampers small business, and destroys ambition, and competition in the name of “fairness”
The Left loathes Individualism, and instead embraces Collectivism. Left unchecked, Collectivism destroys liberty, human rights and leads to Totalitarian atrocities. If you do not believe me, ask the 100,000,000 plus dead that Marxism/Communism/Maoism/Stalinism/Leninism/Collectivism slaughtered last century.
And the Left, is also evil because it seeks to destroy not only liberty, and self-government, but history as well. Independent Sentinel highlights the march of the Cultural Stalinists
Another piece of Civil War history is about to bite the dust.
Portsmouth, Virginia is looking to remove a memorial to Virginians who served the Confederacy during the Civil War. It is falling victim to political correctness. There is a battle being waged with most wanting it to stay.
The memorial commemorates those soldiers who never returned home, it does not commemorate slavery, and most soldiers who fought overwhelmingly did not own slaves. It was also over 150 years ago.
The city estimates the taxpayers will have to pay about $105,000 to erase the monument and statues.
The courts will rule on the decision.
This is going on throughout the country, particularly in the south.
In South Carolina, where the first shots of the Civil War rang out in 1861, the state legislature voted to end the display of the Confederate flag on the grounds of the state capitol.
Monuments to the Confederacy in New Orleans have been targeted. The Park and Recreation Board of Birmingham, Alabama, voted last July to remove that city’s Confederate Soldiers & Sailors monument.
This is all part of the Left’s campaign of indoctrination folks. First they demonize, then they destroy, all in the name of “inclusion” and “tolerance” of course. And, yes, yes, they will come for every last vestige of our Founders next. Are prepared to tolerate that too? Are we prepared to have a small minority of agitators dictate whom we memorialize? Remember that to truly destroy a nation, you destroy their heritage, history, and culture first. That is what the Left has been doing for decades now. There can be no question as to their goal here. The only question is will we allow it?
A former U.S. congressman urged Attorney General Loretta Lynch to arrest him after she warned on Thursday that her office would take a more aggressive approach to those spewing anti-Muslim rhetoric.
“I think Islam has a real freaking problem, alright?” Former Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh said in a video posted to his Facebook page. “There is a cancer in Islam, and if they’re not going to learn to assimilate, I don’t want them in this country.”
“You got a problem, Loretta Lynch, with me saying that? Then throw me in jail,” Walsh, a conservative talk show host, argued. “I think Islam is evil. I think Islam has a huge problem. I think most Muslims around the world are not compatible with American values. I don’t want them here.”
Walsh continued to slam Lynch in his video for the comments she made at Muslim Advocate’s 10th anniversary dinner one day after law enforcement officials say two people opened fire at a holiday party in San Bernardino, California, leaving 14 people dead and more than one dozen injured. According to reports, the wife pledged allegiance to the Islamic State on her Facebook page just moments before the attack.
“When we talk about the First Amendment we [must] make it clear that actions predicated on violent talk are not American. They are not who we are, they are not what we do, and they will be prosecuted,” Lynch said at the banquet. “My message not just to the Muslim community but to all Americans is: we cannot give in to the fear that these backlashes are really based on.”
Walsh, who now hosts his own radio program, served in Congress from 2011 to 2013.
In text that included some stronger language accompanying his video, which has been viewed more than 110,000 times as of Saturday morning, Walsh continued to argue that “most Muslims around the world are terrorists, support terrorism and/or support Sharia Law.”
“Any Muslim that is a terrorist or supports terrorism should be killed,” Walsh wrote. “If ‘Moderate’ Muslims don’t speak out against terrorism, they are our enemy and we should call them out and kick them out of this country.”
“Is that ‘anti-Muslim rhetoric’ that ‘edges toward violence,’” he continued. “Go ahead and prosecute me. I dare you.”
New Orleans Saints’ tight end Benjamin Watson used his Facebook account Tuesday to call attention to his views on the Black Lives Matter movement. A view that is critical of abortion, fathers who abandon their children and politicians who “enable generational dependency.”
Watson, the author of “Under Our Skin: Getting Real About Race – And Getting Free From The Fears and Frustrations That Divide Us,” is using social media to link people to a blog post where he discusses his thoughts on the Black Lives Matter movement.
“Some contention is with the very phrase itself. This is problematic, though, because ‘black lives matter’ in context is clearly comparative to them not mattering. It obviously does not exist in a vacuum thus a response of ‘all lives matter’ is disingenuous at best and outright insulting at worst,” Watson’s blog post from late August reads. “It SHOULD go without saying that ‘all lives matter,’ including black lives, unborn lives, elderly lives, affluent and poor lives, Christian and atheist lives. But, today, in light of our present societal struggles and racial tension the question is worth addressing. As Americans, do black lives matter to us?”
Later in the post, the outspoken Christian athlete focuses on some of the ways he feels Black lives don’t and do matter in this country. Here are some selected excerpts:
“Black lives don’t matter when neighbors, black neighbors, kill each other. It’s no surprise that people generally commit crimes against the people they live nearest to. Even so, the truth is that we treat people no better than the value we place on them and the dignity we have in ourselves.”
“Black lives don’t matter when some politicians enable generational dependency, stifling individual responsibility while others completely deny the importance of programs that are needed to help the marginalized. A crutch is the vital friend of the injured, it’s ultimate purpose to one day be laid aside as it’s former dependent walks on their own. If it oversteps its purpose the user will no longer feel the need to walk. Erroneously, they may not even think they can ever do so. Consequently, a stagnant, hopeless life seems to matter less.”
“Black lives don’t matter when we support and engage in the termination of our most important resource and our hope for a brighter future, our unborn children.”
“Black lives don’t matter when their very real and documented negative experiences with law enforcement, employment opportunities, and educational funding is belittled and dismissed. Compassion for another’s experience, even if foreign to us is paramount when encountering situations we can’t understand.”
“Black lives don’t matter when fathers selfishly abandon their children and their children’s mothers, teaching them that family is not a priority, and almost ensuring the cycle will repeat itself. A strong foundation gives children the fortitude to weather the storms they are sure to face throughout their lives.”
“But BLACK LIVES MATTER, when we look at our black children and imperfectly strive to show them the compassion, love, leadership, hard work and sacrifice a man should exhibit in hopes that our sons will carry the banner further and our daughters will set the bar high for their future spouses.”
“BLACK LIVES MATTER when we understand that the black community can not be characterized by headlines of a single story, because it is filled with multiple stories from millions of contrasting individuals.”
“BLACK LIVES MATTER when we look at our white children, and realize that they are internalizing and will imitate every attitude, action, comment, and expression we make when the next racially charged incident occurs or when we engage with others on a daily basis, who don’t look like us. They are future change agents as well. Some of the largest victories in through abolition and civil rights came because of the compassion and activism of our white brothers and sisters.”
“BLACK LIVES MATTER when we are willing to stand up to our friends and family when they make racist comments and jokes that are dead wrong. AND they matter when we refuse to flippantly use words created to demean and degrade even if we feel we have a right to.”
“The attitudes inherited by our different heritages can breed in us unhealthy attitudes if left unchecked, including the foolishness of supremacy and the myth of inferiority. The cross bridges the gap, the power of the blood penetrating deep into our wickedness, convicting us, forgiving us, and reconciling us to God and subsequently reconciling us to each other. Only in Christ do the temporal distinctions between us fade, as our oneness in him takes precedence over our color creed and culture and our allegiance to Him compels us to make those who matter to Him matter most to us.”
For the complete blog post from Benjamin Watson click here.
How radical, weird and out of touch have liberals on college campuses gotten since Obama came into office? It’s worse than you ever thought and although there is an almost unlimited number of problematic incidents to choose from, these 15 are particularly effective at getting across how bad things have become.
1) “College Students Say Remembering 9/11 Is Offensive to Muslims… The everything-is-offensive brand of campus activism has struck a new low: Students at the University of Minnesota killed a proposed moment of silence for 9/11 victims due to concerns – insulting, childish concerns – that Muslim students would be offended.”
2) “Portland State University Offers Course Teaching How to ‘Make Whiteness Strange’… According to Portland State University Professor Rachel Sanders’ ‘White Privilege’ course, ‘whiteness’ must be dismantled if racial justice will ever be achieved. The course description states that ‘whiteness is the lynchpin of structures of racial meaning and racial inequality in the United States” and claims that ‘to preserve whiteness is to preserve racial injustice.’ Students taking the course will ‘endeavor to make whiteness strange.’ In order to make whiteness strange, the description says students must ‘interrogate whiteness as an unstable legal, political, social, and cultural construction.’”
3) “A University in the San Francisco Area Actually Told Students To Call 911 if They Were Offended… Administrators at a Catholic university in the San Francisco Bay Area have rescinded an official school policy instructing students to clog up the regional 9-1-1 emergency reporting system to report ‘bias incidents.’
The school is Santa Clara University, reports Campus Reform… Until this month, however, Santa Clara administrators have been instructing students to report ‘bias incidents’ using the emergency service reserved for dispatching police, firefighters and ambulances.
‘If the bias incident is in progress or just occurred: ALWAYS CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY,’ the Santa Clara website instructed students in fierce, all-capital letters.”
4) “Educators in the Volunteer State are very concerned that students might be offended by the usage of traditional pronouns like she, he, him and hers, according to a document from the University of Tennessee – Knoxville’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
…For all you folks who went to school back when there were only him and her – here’s a primer: some of the new gender neutral pronouns are ze, hir, zir, xe, xem and xyr.”
5) “A Professor at Polk State College has allegedly failed a humanities student after she refused to concede that Jesus is a ‘myth’ or that Christianity oppresses women during a series of mandatory assignments at the Florida college. According to a press release from the Liberty Counsel, a non-profit public interest law firm, Humanities Professor Lance ‘Lj’ Russum gave a student a ‘zero’ on four separate papers because the 16-year-old did not ‘conform to his personal worldviews of Marxism, Atheism, Feminism, and homosexuality.’ The law firm has called for a full, private investigation of the professor and the course curriculum.”
6) “College Codes Make ‘Color Blindness’ a Microaggression… wait, what? …UCLA says “Color Blindness,” the idea we shouldn’t obsess over people’s race, is a microaggression. If you refuse to treat an individual as a ‘racial/cultural being,’ then you’re being aggressive.”
7) “The phrase ‘politically correct’ is now a microaggression according to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The university’s ‘Just Words’ campaign is the work of UWM’s ‘Inclusive Excellence Center’ and aims to ‘raise awareness of microaggressions and their impact’ – microaggressions like ‘politically correct’ or ‘PC.’”
8) ) “‘American,’ ‘illegal alien,’ ‘foreigners,’ ‘mothering,’ and ‘fathering’ are just a handful of words deemed ‘problematic’ by the University of New Hampshire’s Bias-Free Language Guide… Saying ‘American’ to reference Americans is also problematic. The guide encourages the use of the more inclusive substitutes ‘U.S. citizen’ or ‘Resident of the U.S.’ The guide also tries to get students to stop saying ‘Caucasian,’ ‘illegal Immigrant,’ ‘mother,’ ‘father’ and even the word ‘healthy’ is said to shame those who aren’t healthy.”
9) “Late yesterday afternoon, ACLJ filed a lawsuit on behalf of Brandon Jenkins against officials of The Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) in Maryland for denying Brandon admission to its Radiation Therapy Program in part due to his expression of religious beliefs. As one faculty member explained to Brandon, on behalf of CCBC, the ‘field [of radiation therapy] is not the place for religion.’”
11) “According to Coastal Carolina University, sex is only consensual if both parties are completely sober and if consent is not only present, but also enthusiastic. This is a troubling standard that converts many ordinary, lawful sexual encounters into sexual assault, and it should frighten any student at CCU.”
12) “Clemson University apologizes for serving Mexican food… Students took to Twitter to call the event culturally insensitive and to question the school’s efforts to promote diversity… Clemson Dining issued an apology to ‘offended’ students after hosting a ‘Maximum Mexican’ food day.”
13) “All-Women’s College Cancels ‘Vagina Monologues’ Because it Excludes Women Without Vaginas.”
14) “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ leader who landed a teaching gig at Yale University delivered a lecture this week on the historical merits of looting as a form of protest, backing up his lesson with required reading that puts modern-day marauders on par with the patriots behind the Boston Tea Party.”
15) “Assistant Dean (at Cornell) Tells a Project Veritas Investigative Journalist that the University Would Allow an ISIS Terrorist to Hold a ‘Training Camp’ on Campus, Saying: ‘It Would be Like Bringing in a Coach to do a Training on a Sports Team.'”