Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton suffered quite a bit of mockery this week as her carefully orchestrated campaign rollout turned into a deluge of punchlines and Chipotle-related mockery.
It’s been great fun – and a refreshing relief from several sad years of reluctance to make fun of President Barack Obama.
At the same time, Clinton is more than a comical candidate who cannot possibly relate to regular, normal Americans. She’s also entitled and out-of-touch.
“The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of the Presidents” by Ronald Kessler lays out episode after episode of rude, insolent, belligerent behavior by Hillary Clinton which demonstrates she is undeserving of the presidency and unfit to represent the United States.
A throng of Secret Service employees and White House staffers spoke very candidly with Kessler, the author of seven New York Times best sellers, for the August 2014 book.
Here are 17 examples of Clinton’s awfulness.
1. – Secret Service agents view protecting Hillary as a form of punishment. As Kessler notes, Clinton frequently declares her deep concern for ordinary Americans. And, in fact, the Wellesley College-educated Democrat has stressed a fuzzy set of populist-progressive principles thus far in her campaign.
However, she has an embarrassingly long history of treating actual Americans terribly when she interacts with them. Her seething anger is so persistent that Secret Service agents and law enforcement personnel have long considered the assignment of protecting her “a form of punishment.”
“Hillary was so mistrustful and vengeful,” on ex-Secret Service agent told Kessler.
“She’s very angry and sarcastic and is very hard on her staff,” a source said. “She is a totally different person behind the scenes than what you see when she is being interviewed.”
“She’s known to snap at agents and yell at agents and dress them down to their faces, and they just have to be humble,” a source explained, “and walk away.”
“Agents don’t deserve that,” a Secret Service agent told Kessler. “They’re there to do a job, they’re there to protect her, they’ll lay their life down for hers, and there’s absolutely no respect for that.”
2. – Hillary is woefully disorganized and habitually late. Showing up on time won’t be a feature of a Hillary Clinton presidency, according to Kessler. “She had children running her campaign,” an agent who was around the 2000 version of Clinton told the author. “She had a lack of organization and a lack of maturity. She could not keep a schedule.”
3. – Hillary likes to tell the people who protect to fuck off. Back when the Monica Lewinsky scandal was in full bloom, Kessler recounts, a uniformed Secret Service was on duty on the South Lawn of the White House when Hillary showed up in the back of a limousine.
“The first lady steps out of the limo, and another uniformed officer says to her, ‘Good morning, ma’am,”‘ the agent told Kessler. “Her response to him was ‘F off.’ I couldn’t believe I heard it.”
4. – Hillary once had a father of four fired because he helped Barbara Bush with a computer problem. The man was a White House usher, Christopher B. Emery. Barbara Bush had contacted Emery when she was having problems setting up a laptop because Emery had helped the former first lady with computer problems a couple times previously.
For offering this assistance to a former White House resident, Hillary successfully demanded that Emery be fired. The family man was unable to find another job for a year.
5. – Hillary hates the military and didn’t want officers wearing their military uniforms in her presence. “She didn’t appear to like law enforcement or the military,” former Secret Service agent Lloyd Bulman told Kessler.
“She wouldn’t go over and meet military people or police officers, as most protectees do. She was just really rude to almost everybody. She’d act like she didn’t want you around, like you were beneath her,” the agent said.
She didn’t want to see police officers in uniform.
“How do you explain that to the police?” a disgusted Secret Service agent asked. “She wanted state troopers and local police to wear suits and stay in unmarked cars. If there were an incident, that could pose a big problem. People don’t know police are in the area unless officers wear uniforms and drive police cars. If they are unaware of a police presence, people are more likely to get out of control.”
The former secretary of state also did not want to see American military officers in their uniforms.
“Hillary didn’t like the military aides wearing their uniforms around the White House,” yet another Secret Service agent recalled. “She asked if they would wear business suits instead. The uniform’s a sign of pride, and they’re proud to wear their uniform. I know that the military was actually really offended by it.”
6. – Hillary once yelled at a guy for changing a light bulb while she was at the White House. Kessler recounts an incident involving an electrician who was changing a light bulb inside the White House. Clinton dressed this man down because she didn’t want any work done inside the 54,896-square-foot residence while she was on the premises.
“She caught the guy on a ladder doing the lightbulb,” Franette McCulloch, an assistant White House pastry chef during the Clinton administration, told the author. “He was a basket case.
7. – Hillary demanded White House workers never speak to her and hide behind the drapes when she appeared. It was a standing rule, according to Kessler.
“No one spoke to her when she was going from one location to another,” former FBI agent Coy Copeland told Kessler. “In fact, anyone who would see her coming would just step into the first available office.”
“We were basically told, the Clintons don’t want to see you, they don’t want to hear you, get out of the way,” an ex-Secret Service agent told the author. “If Hillary was walking down a hall, you were supposed to hide behind drapes used as partitions. Supervisors would tell us, ‘Listen, stand behind this curtain. They’re coming,’ or ‘Just stand out of the way, don’t be seen.”‘
8. – Hillary once insulted a man by asking him if he shopped at J.C. Penney. The 2016 Democratic presidential frontrunner who is running as a compassionate voice for everyday Americans had the encounter in a hallway of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Kessler reports. The subject of her ire was a member of independent counsel Kenneth Starr’s investigative team.
The man addressed Hillary, saying “Good morning, Mrs. Clinton,” FBI agent Copeland told Kessler.
“She jumped all over him,” Copeland told the author. “‘How dare you? You people are just destroying my husband.’ It was that vast right-wing conspiracy rant. Then she had to tack on something to the effect of ‘And where do you buy your suits? Penney’s?’”
The embarrassed Starr investigator told Copeland the story a few weeks after the incident occurred. “He said, ‘I was wearing the best suit I owned,’” Copeland said.
9. – Hillary drove Vince Foster to suicide by belittling him. Foster, White House deputy counsel under Bill Clinton, committed suicide on July 20, 1993. He had been a mentor to Hillary prior to Clinton’s rise to the presidency back when Hillary worked at the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock, Ark.
Hillary ridiculed and vilified Foster in front of White House aides during meetings concerning Hillary’s failed single-payer healthcare scheme. Specifically, according to Kessler, she was frustrated about some legal concerns he had raised.
“Hillary put him down really, really bad in a pretty good-size meeting,” Copeland, who learned of the incident through others, told Kessler. “She told him he didn’t get the picture, and he would always be a little hick-town lawyer who was obviously not ready for the big time.”
“The put-down that she gave him in that big meeting just pushed him over the edge,” the former FBI agent said.
“Foster was profoundly depressed, but Hillary lambasting him was the final straw because she publicly embarrassed him in front of others,” another former FBI agent, Jim Clemente, told the author. “Hillary blamed him for failed nominations, claimed he had not vetted them properly, and said in front of his White House colleagues, ‘You’re not protecting us’ and ‘You have failed us.’ That was the final blow.”
Foster, who left a wife and three children, shot himself in a Washington, D.C. park about a week later.
10. – Hillary orchestrated the mass firings of White House travel office employees for Bill Clinton’s cousin. Clinton presidential assistant W. David Watkins told Kessler that Hillary schemed to fire seven White House travel office employees so Catherine A. Cornelius, Bill Clinton’s third cousin, and some friends of the Clintons could take over the travel business for their own benefit.
“We both know that there would be hell to pay” if “we failed to take swift and decisive action in conformity with the First Lady’s wishes,” Watkins wrote in a memo to then White House chief of staff Thomas F. McLarty.
11. – Hillary wants to be protected by Secret Service agents but she doesn’t want to see the agents. Both Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton issued a directive during the 2000 Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles that Secret Service agents were to avoid being seen.
“We were told they didn’t want to see us,” an agent who was on the Staples Center assignment told Kessler. And so, when either Clinton approached, members of their protection detail were supposed to hide.
More generally, Secret Service agents who protected Hillary say she routinely ignored them and never expressed an ounce of gratitude.
“Hillary never talked to us,” an agent told Kessler. “Most all members of first families would talk to us and smile. She never did that.”
When she did speak to the Secret Service, it was to complain.
“Hillary would cuss at Secret Service drivers for going over bumps,” former agent Jeff Crane told Kessler.
12. – Hillary would fly into a rage whenever her staff failed to bring in a big enough audience to fake spontaneous events. On one of her famous, carefully choreographed listening tours, Clinton’s advance teams planned “‘impromptu’ visits at diners and local hangouts,” a Secret Service agent remembers.
“The events were all staged, and the questions were screened. She would stop off at diners. The campaign would tell them three days ahead that they were coming. They would talk to the owner and tell him to invite everyone and bring his friends,” the agent told the author.
Clinton would become angry if the events did not meet her expectations.
“Hillary flew in to rages when she thought her campaign staff had not corralled enough onlookers beforehand,” the agent said. “Hillary had an explosive temper.”
13. – Hillary once complained about a 4-H Club visit because it would be insufficient for fundraising. When she was running in New York for the U.S. Senate seat she eventually won, Clinton’s staff scheduled a 4-H Club visit in a dairy-heavy region of upstate New York. When the future senator arrived, she was deeply disappointed to see cows and regular people dressed in blue jeans.
Hillary flew into a rage. “She turned to a staffer and said, ‘What the f- did we come here for? There’s no money here,”‘ a Secret Service agent then on the scene told Kessler.
4-H clubs are organizations for kids administered by the United States Department of Agriculture.
14. – Hillary stays in the master bedrooms of the homes of her big Democratic donors. During previous runs for electoral office, Clinton would regularly show up late at night at the homes of Democratic powerbrokers and sleep in the main bedroom. “We would show up at their homes at 2 A.M., and she would sleep in the master bedroom,” an agent told Kessler.
She has also been known to berate her staffers for the hotels they choose.
15. – Hillary Clinton regularly leaves the place where she is when Bill shows up. The protection agency is able to track the movements of the leaders and former leaders it is sworn to protect. Frequently, agents have noted, whenever Bill shows up at a place where Hillary Clinton is, Hillary immediately leaves.
“It was funny, because on the radio you’d hear that she went some where, and then you’d hear that he went to the same location, and every time he went to her, she would go somewhere else,” a former agent told Kessler.
Also, for the record, Bill Clinton is still cheating on Hillary with a fake-breasted blonde mistress who shows up immediately after Hillary leaves their home in Chappaqua, N.Y. The woman’s Secret Service nickname is “Energizer.”
16. – Hillary’s staffers are bitter little Hillary clones. Secret Service agents say Huma Abedin, a longtime Hillary staffer (and spouse of Anthony “Carlos Danger” Weiner) is just as nasty as Hillary. In 2008, for example, an agent helped Abedin after she got lost trying to find a presidential debate in Los Angeles.
Abedin was ungrateful for the effort. “She was belligerent and angry about being late for the event,” the agent told Kessler. “No appreciation for any of it, not a thank-you or anything. That was common for her people to be rude.”
On another occasion, Abedin was not wearing proper identification but tried to barge past Secret Service agents, anyway.
“You don’t have the proper identification to go beyond this point,” a female agent reportedly told Abedin.
“Huma basically tried to throw her weight around,” a former Secret Service agent told the author. “She tried to just force her way through and said belligerently, ‘Do you know who I am?”‘
It didn’t work. Abedin was forced to calm down and cooperate so the Secret Service could confirm her identity.
17. – Secret Service agents rebelled against Hillary by making Abedin carry her own damn bags – and Hillary’s, too. Many times, Secret Service agents carry the luggage of first ladies and other members of a president’s entourage. However, it’s not a requirement. With Abedin, “the agents were just like, ‘Hey, you’re going to be like that? Well, you get your own luggage to the car. Oh, and by the way, you can carry the first lady’s luggage to the car, too,’” an agent explained to Kessler. “She’d have four bags, and we’d stand there and watch her and say, ‘Oh, can we hold the door open for you?’ ”