Emails Show Clinton’s Interest In Arming Libyan Rebels Despite Prohibitions – Fox News
Recently released emails detail then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s interest in arming Libyan opposition groups using private security contractors before the fall of Muammar Qaddafi in 2011 – though at the time, the opposition was not formally recognized by the U.S. or United Nations, which prohibited arming without following strict guidelines and oversight.
The issue remains so sensitive that the emails recently released by the State Department redacted a key line on the matter. But the unredacted version of the same email, released to the congressional Benghazi Select Committee and first posted by The New York Times last Thursday, showed Clinton appearing to endorse the idea of using private contractors to her then-deputy chief of staff, Jake Sullivan.
“FYI. The idea of using private security experts to arm the opposition should be considered,” Clinton wrote to Sullivan on April 8, 2011, attaching an intelligence report from Hillary’s adviser Sidney Blumenthal. The opposition was known as the Transitional National Council, or TNC.
Another email released by the State Department shows that five days earlier, on April 3, 2011, Bill Clinton said he would not rule out arming the Libyan opposition. The story was circulated by Cheryl Mills, Hillary Clinton’s principal personal adviser at the State Department, to “H.” While it’s not clear who “H” is, based on the message traffic it is likely Hillary Clinton or possibly adviser Huma Abedin.
Later that same year, a Sept. 10, 2011 email with a subject line “Rogers” said, “Apparently wants to see you to talk Libya/weapons.”
At the time, the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee was Mike Rogers, who abruptly announced he would not seek re-election in the spring of 2014. Rogers did not immediately respond to questions seeking comment. Fox News also filed its own Freedom of Information Act request for the documents in October 2012.
Current and former intelligence and administration officials consistently have skirted questions about weapons shipments, first documented by Fox News in October 2012, one month after the Benghazi terrorist attack, and what role the movement played in arming extremist groups the U.S. government is now trying to defeat in Syria and Iraq.
Through shipping records, Fox News confirmed that the Libyan-flagged vessel Al Entisar, which means “The Victory,” was received in the Turkish port of Iskenderun – 35 miles from the Syrian border – on Sept. 6, 2012, five days before the Benghazi terrorist attack. The cargo reportedly included surface-to-air anti-aircraft missiles, RPG’s and Russian-designed shoulder-launched missiles known as MANPADS.
On the movement of weapons, in an interview broadcast May 11, former acting CIA director Mike Morell said the CIA and U.S. government “played no role. Now whether we were watching other people do it, I can’t talk about it.”
Heavily redacted congressional testimony, declassified after the House intelligence committee’s Benghazi investigation concluded in 2014, shows conflicting accounts about the movement of weapons from Libya to Syria were apparently given to lawmakers.
On Nov. 15, 2012, Morell and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper testified “Yes” on whether the U.S. intelligence community was aware arms were moving from Libya to Syria. This line of questioning by Republican Rep. Devin Nunes, who is now the intelligence committee chairman, was shut down by his predecessor Rogers, who said not everyone in the classified hearing was “cleared” to hear the testimony, which means they did not have a sufficient security clearance.
An outside analyst told Fox News that Rogers’ comments suggest intelligence related to the movement of weapons was a “read on,” and limited to a very small number of recipients.
Six months later, on May 22, 2013, Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, now chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, asked if the CIA was “monitoring arms that others were sending into Syria.” Morell said, “No, sir.”
Several individuals connected to Benghazi and Hillary Clinton’s term at the State Department now work at the D.C. consulting firm Beacon Global Strategies. Among them are Clinton’s principal gatekeeper Philippe Reines; Morell, who’s listed as a senior counselor; and Andrew Shapiro, who was a Clinton policy adviser at the State Department whose portfolio included ridding Libya of shoulder-launched missiles called MANPADs. Critics argue no group knows more about Benghazi or has such a vested interest in the outcome of the congressional Benghazi investigation.
The Day-By-Day Clinton Scandal Tracker – Doug Ross Journal
Just so you can keep ’em all straight. Summarized and sanitized for your protection!
* Clinton Foundation hit with racketeering lawsuit
* Clinton Foundation finds itself drawn into FIFA soccer corruption scandal
* Hillary never disclosed secret shell company funneling income to Bill
* Did Clinton pay-to-play arrangement hand over port container operations to UAE?
* Emails reveal Hillary cared so much about Benghazi she slept through intel briefing 4 days later
* Stephanopoulos joined Bill Clinton on Pedophile Island
* The 15 Benghazi emails you need to read
* Hillary’s Real Benghazi Problem
* Hillary claim she used only one email address while at State? Another lie
* Hillary Deliberately Caused Delay Of Email Release By Submitting Only Paper Copies
* New Hillary Emails Confirm She Received Classified Info on Private Email
* Hillary Was Pushing For Tax Breaks To Benefit Clinton Library Donors
* Clinton Foundation Had $26M In Contributions It “Forgot” To Disclose
* Clinton Aides at State Handled FOIA Requests, Not Experts: WSJ
* Hillary can’t shake email controversy
* Does Hillary deserve to be President after jeopardizing national security?
* The State Department’s In-Kind Contribution to the Clinton Campaign
* State Dept Won’t Comment on Report Cheryl Mills Interfered with Hillary Clinton FOIA Requests
* Did Hillary Clinton know of Benghazi attack in advance?
* Hillary, “Sid Vicious”, and Libya
* The Truth About Benghazi Slowly Emerges
* Proof: US Was Running Weapons Thru Benghazi to Syria
* Key Hillary Clinton Claim on Emails Was a Lie
* Stop me if you’ve heard this one; Hillary took money from more companies seeking influence
* ‘Clinton Cash’ author: George Stephanopoulos guilty of “hidden-hand journalism”
* Clinton Cash’ Author Reveals Other Ties Stephanopoulos DIDN’T Admit or Apologize For
* ABC, Stephanopoulos Clinton Foundation Hypocrisy Staggering
* Hillary Clinton personally took money from companies that sought to influence her
* Clintons Earned $30 Million in 16 Months, Report Shows
* Former Obama CIA Chief: Hillary’s Emails Compromised By Our Enemies
* Guess Who Delayed Response to Stephanopoulos Scoop So Politico Could Publish First?
* Clinton Foundation donors include dozens of media organizations, individuals
* Stephanopoulos Another Example Of Revolving Door Journalism
* Clinton Connections Paid Off for Indonesian Tobacco Tycoon
* Former CIA Official: WH’s Story on Benghazi Talking Points Isn’t Credible
* Clinton Foundation donor can’t explain role in Russian uranium deal
* Alan Colmes: FBI Should Investigate Clinton Foundation
* Clinton Foundation Donors Fill Hillary’s Campaign Coffers
* Report: Clinton Foundation Tried to “Strong-Arm” Leading Charity Watchdog
* Federal Court Reopens State Dept. FOIA Lawsuit: “Newly Discovered Evidence” of Clinton Crimes
* Stunned Reporter Grills State Dept.: Why Won’t Hillary’s Breaches Be Investigated?
* Why Did a Nigerian Company Pay Bill Clinton $1.4MM for 2 Speeches?
* Clinton Crime Fund Reportedly Took Funds From Human Rights Violators
* Four Clinton Foundation Trustees Charged Or Convicted Of Financial Crimes
* The Hill-Billy Cash Pump
* Bill Clinton Puts Blame for Family’s Scandals on Accountant
* The Clinton Foundation isn’t a “charity” in any normal sense of the word
* Bill Clinton: Foundation didn’t do anything “knowingly inappropriate”
* Bill Clinton on Huge Speaking Fees: ‘I Gotta Pay Our Bills,’ You Know
* The Clintons, a luxury jet and their $100 million donor from Canada
* The Clintons, a luxury jet and their $100 million donor from Canada
* Hillary Opposed Sending Nuke Tech to India… Until Huge Donations Flowed In
* Benghazi Committee Gets Some Subpoeaned Docs from State Dept. Two Years Later
* Clinton Foundation spent more on office supplies than on charity gifts in 2013
* 181 Clinton Foundation donors who lobbied Hillary’s State Department
* Report alleges Clintons personally profited from Hillary’s tenure at State
* The Clintons lower the bar again
* If This Is the Best Defense of the Clinton Foundation, She’s in Trouble
* Sunlight Foundation leader: Clinton Foundation a “slush fund”
* So About the Clintons’ So-Called ‘Charity’
* Who’s Afraid of the Benghazi Hearings?
* The Fall of the House of Clinton
* Hillary’s Day of Wrath
* Clinton Foundation distributed useless drugs to AIDS patients
* For the Clinton Defense
* ABC This Week With George Stephanopoulos owe their viewers an Apology
* Report: Clintons Engaged in Pay-for-Play During Efforts to Rebuild Haiti
* Clinton relatives, donors got rich off taxpayer-funded Haiti contracts
* Clinton Greed
* Who is really drawing out the Benghazi investigation?
* “Hillary Thinks She Is Bigger Than God”
* Hillary now raising funds off of evidence of her corrupt fundraising
* Muslim Brotherhood Payrolled By Clinton Foundation
* How long can this train wreck continue?
* Bill Clinton sold us to the ChiComs; Hillary sold us to the Russians
* White House Refuses to Comment on Shady Deal Hillary Made With Russia
* Many Clinton charity donors got State Dept. awards under Hillary
* Clintons Lied on Tax Forms, Claiming No Foreign Money to Foundation
* Oops: Clinton Foundation Re-Filing Five Years of Tax Returns Over “Errors”
* State Dept. Documents Reveal Concern about Bill Clinton’s Activities with “Saudi Entities”
* Cash Flowed to Clintons as Russians Pressed for Control of Uranium Company
* Former Clinton Employee Tied To Muslim Brotherhood Sentenced To Life In Prison
* White House Won’t Deny Clinton Foundation Donors Got Special Treatment
* The Latest Available Clinton Foundation Filings Appear Deceptive
* ‘Clinton Cash’ Reveals Foreign Pay-to-Play Deals with Clinton State Dept.
* Newsweek: Largest donor to Clinton Foundation has trade ties to Iran
* Cisco Used Clinton Foundation To Cover-up Human Rights Abuse In China
* Here’s a breakdown of every scandal swirling around Hillary
* Hillary Reversed Position on Trade Deal With Colombia After Huge Donation to Clinton Foundation
* Hillary For Sale: At Least $1 Million From Morocco Flowing Into Clinton Foundation
* Top Spy: Hillary’s Emails ‘Likely’ Hacked by China, Russia, Iran
* How the U.S. thinks Russians hacked the White House
* Hillary’s Brothers Unlike Any Others
* Hillary’s accidental drone email about decorating reveals BIG new problems
* Hillary’s private intel chief Sidney Blumenthal also an illegal lobbyist?
* Did Clinton’s Backdoor Adviser Illegally Lobby for Putin Ally?
* The long, complicated story of Hillary Clinton’s Benghazi subpoena
* Obstruction of Justice – A Must For Hillary
* The Latest Bombshell from Mrs. Clinton’s Lawyer
* Situation Normal: Hillary Clinton obstructs justice and operates outside the law
* Get Hillary’s server, it’s now evidence of a potential crime
* GOP: ‘Even Nixon Didn’t Destroy the Tapes’
* Hillary Clinton Defies Subpoena, “Wiped Her Server Clean”
* Hacked Hillary Emails: Getting Fed Intelligence By Her Own Private Spy Service
* Clintons Received Money from ‘Front for the Government of Iran’
* Did Hillary Run Her Own Intelligence Operation?
* Lawsuit: Clintons are guilty of racketeering, influence peddling
* Business dealings of Hillary Clinton’s brother raise new questions
* Clinton Nemesis Ramps Up Effort to Get State Dept. to Spill on Hillary’s Tenure
* Bill Clinton ‘Unaware’ Brother-In-Law on Board of Haitian Gold Mine that Landed Rare Permit
* Trey Gowdy to Hillary Clinton: Hand Over Your E-Mail Server
* Now Huma Abedin is Being Scrutinized for Possible Corruption
* Emails sought of nearly a dozen U.S. State Department workers under Clinton
* State Dept. Employees Who Don’t Sign Separation Agreement Face Dire Consequences
* Hillary committed obstruction of justice
* Clintonworld’s Self-Pitying Shadiness Returns
* Clintons UAE Quid Pro Quo
* Hillary Clinton’s Top Five Secrecy Scandals
* Hillary Clinton’s Top Five Secrecy Scandals
* Clintons Cover-Up Team
* Hillary Clinton should face criminal charges
* The “Hillary Was Right to Break the Law Because Republicans Are Mean” Defense
* Trey Gowdy: House may go to court to get Clinton email server
* On Benghazi, a timeline of State Department obstruction
Hillary Clinton Lies… A Lot
* Clinton camp issues clarification on deleted emails, claims “every” message was reviewed
* Valerie Jarrett behind leak of Hillary Clinton’s email scandal
* State Department contradicts Hillary Clinton’s email claim
* An Open Letter to email@example.com
* Hillary Is Being Investigated for a Possible Felony
* Clinton Faces Broader Email Deception Issue Involving Entire State Department
* Did Hillary let friends use State Department gigs as a piggy bank?
* Hillary’s Rose Law Firm Career a Sign of What Was to Come?
* Hillary’s email explanation is self-contradictory, here’s how
* The Hillary Email Scandal: Who Profits?
* The Mendacious, Charmless, Painfully Mediocre And Unelectable Hillary Clinton
* Hillary’s Train Wreck Press Conference: Spin, Lies and Unanswered Questions
* Carefully scripted Hillary knocked out of comfort zone
* Internet Catches Hillary in Three Provable Email Falsehoods
* Hillary emerges from behind stonewall for tightly controlled press conference
* Mystery location of Clinton email server seen as ‘matter of national security’
* Hillary Tries To Quell Email Controversy, But Only Creates More Questions
* Trey Gowdy: Hillary’s Server Or Hillary’s Testimony
* Hillary’s brother got the gold mine, Haiti got the shaft
* “It will be a crime if she knowingly withholds documents pursuant to subpoena”
* Clinton e-mail scandal disqualifies her for president
* Hillary Clinton’s Possibly Fatal Email Mistake
* Cheryl Mills, Hillary Clinton: What We Musn’t Forget About Benghazi
* New FOIAs Probe Clinton Secret Email System, Lawsuits May Follow In 20 Days
* White House: Hillary And Obama Did Email Each Other
* Why Would Foreign Governments’ Donations to the Clinton Foundation Not Count as Bribes?
* Wealthy at Scandal-Plagued HSBC Have Donated/Bribed $81 Million to Hillary’s Bribery Storefront
* Gowdy: Huge Gaps Of “Months And Months” In Emails Hillary Turned Over
* Hillary Milhous Clinton
* Hillary Exposed Her Emails To Spies… To Hide Them From You
* While Clinton Hid Emails, $6 Billion Went Missing in Her State Dept.
* State Department: Hillary decides what emails we can see
* FOIA Request for Hillary Clinton’s Email Address Went Missing
* Hillary fired US Ambassador to Kenya for using personal email account
* Server, Serve Her: Clinton Crumbling
* Hillary Clinton Still Doesn’t Get It
* Hillary’s Brother Gets Exclusive Mining Permit from Haiti After Taxpayers Sent Country Billions
* Emailgate May Be the Final Scandal to Sink Hillary Clinton
* Hacker Reveals Contents from Hillary’s Private E-Mails and Shows Who She Was Talking To
* Bigger Question: Did Hillary use unsecured email for Classified Info?
* Hillary Clinton leaked e-mail story to New York Times before tweet
* MSNBC: Hillary Personal Email Use at State “Staggering, Shocking, and Ridiculous”
* The Hillary Cover-Up and the End of Democracy
* Hillary Clinton’s Private E-Mail Draws Scrutiny
* Hillary Clinton Used Personal Email Account at State Dept., Possibly Breaking Rules
* Report: Hillary Clinton Evaded Government Email While Secretary Of State