Honduran authorities have detained five Syrian nationals who were trying to reach the United States using stolen Greek passports, but there are no signs of any links to last week’s attacks in Paris, police said.
The Syrian men were held late on Tuesday in the Honduran capital, Tegucigalpa, on arrival from Costa Rica, and had been planning to head to the border with neighboring Guatemala. The passports had been doctored to replace the photographs with those of the Syrians, police said.
“We received information from (fellow) police services that these five Syrians left Greece and passed through Turkey, Brazil, Argentina and San Jose in Costa Rica before finally reaching Tegucigalpa,” said Anibal Baca, spokesman for Honduras’ police. “They are normal Syrians.”
U.S. Republican lawmakers defied President Barack Obama on Wednesday and set out plans following last week’s deadly Paris attacks to tighten screening of Syrian refugees.
Obama has pledged to take in 10,000 Syrians next year from the war-torn country. But his plan faces stiff resistance from Republicans, concerned some of the refugees could be associated with Islamic State.
Reports that at least one of the Paris attackers was believed to have slipped into Europe among migrants registered in Greece prompted several Western countries to begin to question their willingness to take in refugees.
Gunfire struck five people, killing one person, at ZombiCon in Fort Myers, Fla., sending hundreds of people running for their lives.
The suspect fled as panicked ghoulish attendees heard about six to seven shots in what police described as a “shoulder to shoulder” crowd just before midnight, witnesses said.
One such witness saw first responders leaning over at least one person on the ground – and another covered by a white sheet along the 2200 block of First Street.
“I just saw somebody on the floor. They were all dead and the cops were saying, ‘get back, get back,’ and everybody was all rioting and crap,” another witness told WFTX-TV.
One of the shooting victims died at the scene, cops said.
About 20,000 people were expected to attend the zombie-themed street festival, authorities believe, some of whom were seen in video footage sprinting for safety down a downtown Fort Myers street.
“You can imagine with that many people, there was people taking cover, officers were running toward the shots and that’s when we located victims,” Fort Myers police spokesman Lt. Victor Medico told reporters near the site of Saturday’s attack.
The shooting wounded four victims, all of whom have been hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries, authorities added.
The violence “deeply saddened” the event’s organizers, Pushing DaiZies, they wrote on Facebook.
“The organizers of Zombicon, Pushing DaiZies, Inc. are deeply saddened by the news of what happened within the footprint of our event,” ZombiCon organizers said. “We take the safety of our patrons very seriously and take precautions in hiring security and police officers for our annual event. Our prayers go out to the family members and individuals involved in the incident.”
The shooting broke out just before the festival was scheduled to end at midnight.
Iran announced that China has agreed to assist in the building of five new nuclear plants across the country, according to Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization (AEOI).
Iran plans to enlist the Chinese in the construction of five new nuclear plants similar in size and scope to the plant currently operating near Bushehr.
Iran’s insistence on building more nuclear power plants has become a key concern for critics of the Obama administration’s diplomacy with the Islamic Republic, as these nuclear structures could potentially be used to assist its nuclear weapons program.
The Obama administration has said in the past that the construction of light water reactors such as the one in Bushehr does not violate existing United Nations restrictions or the interim accord struck with the country in 2013.
Behrouz Kamalvandi, the spokesman for the AEOI, announced on Tuesday that Iran is pursuing at least five new nuclear power plants to produce nuclear fuel at an “industrial scale.”
“The Islamic Republic of Iran plans to produce at least 190,000 SWUs (Separative Work Units) of nuclear fuel at the industrial scale, while we also think about 1,000,000 SWUs, which will be needed to fuel 5 power plants like Bushehr,” Kamalvandi was quoted as saying during an address Tuesday in Tehran at an event described by the state-controlled Fars News Agency as an “Analysis of Lausanne Statement.”
Russia has already helped to start construction of at least two plants in southern Iran, while the Chinese will assist with the rest, Kamalvandi revealed.
“This is the reason why we have inked an agreement with the Russians to construct two nuclear power plants for the generation of electricity while the Chinese will also enter this arena soon,” he was quoted as saying.
Touching on the contents of a recently agreed to framework nuclear deal with the United States, Kamalvandi said Tehran will retain the Fordow nuclear enrichment facility – a former military site – and operate more than 1,000 centrifuges there.
Nuclear research and development work also will continue and return to full capacity after around 10 years, he said.
In addition to the light water reactors, Iran plans to build “small nuclear power plants” around the Persian Gulf area for the reported purpose of desalinating water, Fars reported.
“The AEOI plans to build small power plants in the Southern parts of the country for desalination purposes. Construction of such power plants are on the agenda and will be materialized in the next few years,” Fars quoted Kamalvandi as saying.
When asked about Iranian efforts to build new nuclear reactors, the State Department has said that this type of work is still permissible under existing agreements.
“In general, the construction of light water nuclear reactors is not prohibited by U.N. Security Council resolutions, nor does it violate the [interim agreement,” a State Department official told the Washington Free Beacon in January.
“We have been clear in saying that the purpose of the negotiations with Iran is to ensure that Iran’s nuclear program remains exclusively for civilian, peaceful purposes,” the official said at the time. “The talks that we have been engaged in for months involve a specific set of issues relative to closing off all possible pathways to Iran acquiring a nuclear bomb. That remains our focus.”
Michael Rubin, a former Pentagon adviser, said that years of diplomacy with Iran have nearly unraveled a sanctions regime that brought the Iranian economy to its knees.
“Obama’s partisans like to bash Republicans as anti-diplomacy and they vilify men like [former U.N. Ambassador] John Bolton,” Rubin said. “But it was John Bolton who crafted unanimous and near unanimous U.N. Security Council Resolutions to bring Iran to its knees, while it is the likes of Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry who have unraveled multilateral pressure and opened the floodgates both to Iranian enrichment and to adversaries like China and Russia to jump in with deals that make Iranian cheating even easier.”
“For all their rhetoric and fawning press, Obama and Kerry have confirmed themselves as the real JV team in the region,” Rubin said.
ISIS Jihadists Try To Capture Young Christian Girl, She Takes Out A Machine Gun And Slaughters Five Of Them. There Is Now A Major Christian Militia With American, Australian, And British Christians All Working Together To Destroy ISIS – Walid Shoebat
Speaking in his ancient language, the Aramaic, the language of Jesus, this unnamed Assyrian fighter gives his testimony about what happened in that fateful day when ISIS entered the Assyrian Christian villages at the banks of the Khabur river near Hasaka. He speaks of valiancy and how they fought against all odds.
We thought that the story would help for the Christian west to connect with the Christians of the east. So Shoebat.com translated this never seen before testimony for our western friends to show a story of valor, heroism and the eastern Christian style ‘band of brothers’, and sisters, of course. He recounts the story of one Christian sister, Widad, an Assyrian Christian female fighter and how she single-handedly killed 5 ISIS terrorists before she herself was martyred. His story touched us and it will also touch you. (note: there was an error in the translation “Widad killed have of them” should read “Widad killed five of them”)
“Don’t spread lies” he tells his relatives in America, his village is not gone, even if it is, for he is returning “victoriously”.
To an eastern Christian fighter, the village is everything and death is much more preferred than molestation. The unnamed Christian fighter prefers his grand daughters who were captured by ISIS to be killed rather than to be sexually assaulted. This is the bottom line. It is not “at least I am alive” mentality that is common in the West. Western conservatives by eastern standards are very liberal. Dennis Prager here says that him remaining alive is more important than his wife getting raped:
Martyrdom is the highest honor in the Christian East. Just watch the 21 Copts with their last words “Ya Rabbi Yasou’” (My Lord Jesus Christ).
Land and virginity in the Middle East is everything. Your village is where your ancestors were born. This community is one of the oldest communities in Christendom.
Despite the over three hundred Christian hostages taken by ISIS, it is not all bad news, since Kurdish and Christian fighters have launched a counter attack on ISIS and regained Tal-Hamis.
The counter offensive was done to avenge the death of a fallen Australian soldier, Ashley Johnston (Heval Bagok Serhed) who was martyred in Iraq while fighting ISIS which Shoebat.com were the first to report his martyrdom in English. The Kurds, for his sake, posted images of rows of dead ISIS terrorists.
The unnamed defender speaks highly of the Kurdish fighters who are Muslim, nevertheless, they fight side by side with Christians. And at times, East meets West when valiant western fighters join in, Crusader style.
Ashley Johnston is from Queensland, 28, was martyred on February 24th, while fighting ISIS in northern Iraq alongside the Kurdish People’s Protection Unit (YPG) and trying to liberate the ISIS-held town of Tal Hamis in Syria. The liberation is now complete and ISIS has fled the area. ISIS is not invincible and most of the YPG posted photos on Facebook of female soldiers smiling, hugging and posing with the peace symbol in front of rows of dead bodies. They say the attack was to revenge the death of an Australian soldier. It is here where east meets west.
‘They were massively outnumbered and outgunned but fearless in the face of this as they knew another ISIS death meant saving the lives of countless civilians. He was a fearless and exceptional soldier as well a great man,” the Facebook statement read.
Jamie Read from Lanarkshire, Scotland, served in the British Army for four years before traveling to Syria in 2014 to join the battle against ISIS.
Last August, a hairdresser from south London, known as Mama Kurda, 26, from Croydon, was reported to be the first Briton to travel to fight alongside Kurdish forces.
Jordan Matson, a former soldier for the US Army, is another American serving in the fight against ISIS.
Two women, Canadian Jew Gill Rosenberg, 31, and Danish Kurd Joanna Palani, 20, have also reportedly travelled to fight with the Kurds, inspired perhaps by the images of female fighters on the front line against Islamic State terrorists.
So onward Christian soldier.
P.S: Please consider the serious issue on Christian persecution which will increase as we see these events unfold. we operate a very effective mission in rescuing fellow Christians. We are a unique organization (Rescue Christians) who rescue Christians, perdominately in Pakistan that live under the Muslim yoke baking bricks in kilns under the heating sun. Christians in Pakistan are also burned in furnaces. To see an example out of the thousands we rescue, click here, and listen to the amazing testimonies first hand on how you can help and make a difference, now in this life and for eternity.
As of now there are no reports of the Taliban releasing captured U.S. soldier Bowe Bergdahl (they offered to swap him for these same Gitmo prisoners in June).
Without much publicity or official announcements, the Unites States released five Guantanamo Bay detainees as a nod of willingness to open peace talks in Afghanistan. After officials in Kabul expressed desire for negotiations, the Obama administration released five members of the Taliban who were detained at the US detention center.
A top US official said that the prisoners were released under the condition that they will not engage in any violent activity. While it is clear that they are guilty of crime, the benefit in releasing them – the potential withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan by the summer of 2014 – is greater than the risk. The US announced it will attempt to negotiate peace talks with the Taliban and Afghanistan government officials some months ago.
This gesture from the US government was a departure from the Obama administration’s policy of zero tolerance to negotiations with terrorists and releasing prisoners; thus, in preparation for talks with Afghan officials, the US state department redefined the Taliban as an organization that is no longer included in the US enemy list.
A woman who made a string of false rape allegations against five men in eight years was behind bars last night.
Leanne Black, 32, repeatedly cried rape with bogus sex assault reports to police after rowing or breaking up with her former partners.
In one case, Black claimed she had been drugged and raped. In another she told police a boyfriend kidnapped and molested her.
A court heard that her innocent partners would have faced up to five years in jail if they had been found guilty of such serious sexual allegations.
However, Black was herself jailed for two years, with a judge condemning her actions, telling her that genuine rape victims would be undermined by her lies.
The court heard that, in the most recent case in March, her boyfriend Kevin Crowley was held on suspicion of rape after he had called police to report she had thrown plates at him in their flat.
David Wooler, prosecuting, said officers arrived at the scene of the domestic argument at the home shared by Black and her boyfriend – and she turned the tables on him.
Mr Wooler said: ‘When she was questioned by police she told them her boyfriend had raped her while she slept at his flat.
‘It was the most recent in a number of repeated false rape allegations against men since 2005.’
Newport Crown Court heard that, in June 2005, Black had made a rape allegation but the case did not proceed.
In July 2006, she accused her then partner of raping her twice and also claimed she had been kidnapped and raped. In 2009, she claimed she had been the victim of a serious sexual assault.
And in 2010, she fabricated a story about being drugged and raped. Then, earlier this year, she made the accusations against Mr Crowley.
But she finally owned up, admitting one count of perverting the course of justice against Mr Crowley.
Judge William Gaskell told Black, of Cwmbran, South Wales, she had made it more difficult for genuine rape victims to be believed. He said: ‘Police have to take all allegations of rape very seriously.
‘Rape, when it happens, has a devastating effect for victims and causes great trauma. Many women never get over it.
‘Women who make false allegations like you undermine the whole system and police investigations.
‘It undermines the public’s belief in the truth when allegations are truthfully made.’
Gareth Driscoll, defending, said Black had entered an early guilty plea and made a full admission.
She will serve half her sentence before being released on licence.
Inspector Rory Waring, of Gwent Police, said the sentence should act as a warning to anyone thinking about making false allegations of rape.
He said: ‘As well as causing distress to innocent people accused of this terrible crime, cases like this distract officers from supporting real victims and prosecuting real offenders.
‘Those who have suffered from genuine offences are also undermined.’
Siobhan Blake, Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor in Wales, said: ‘False allegations of rape are extremely uncommon, but where they do occur they are serious offences.
‘Such cases will be dealt with robustly and those falsely accused should feel confident that we will prosecute these cases wherever there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to do so.
‘Earlier this year, the CPS published a report highlighting how rare false allegations of rape and domestic violence are.
‘We must not allow these cases to undermine our work to support victims of rape and domestic violence.
‘We want victims to feel able to report the abuse they have suffered and we are working hard to dispel the myths and stereotypes that can be associated with these cases.
‘One such misplaced belief is that false allegations of rape and domestic violence are widespread. We know that is not the case.’