The Obama Administration has defied Federal Judge Andrew S. Hanen’s injunction once again, this time approving an additional 2,000 amnesty applications for work permits.
Thursday, Obama’s lawyers admitted to Judge Hanen just before midnight that the Department of Homeland Security had violated the injunction by approving the applications despite the fact Hanen admonished the administration two months ago for failing to comply with his ruling.
This latest development comes as DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson continue attempting to reassure Congress that Obama’s amnesty program has halted and that the administration is in full compliance with the court order.
Obama’s lawyers stated to Judge Hanen that “The government sincerely regrets these circumstances” and they are taking immediate steps to remedy the situation.
“The last time I checked, injunctions are not mere suggestions. They are not optional,” the Iowa Republican said. “This disregard for the court’s action is unacceptable and disturbing, especially after Secretary Johnson’s assurances that his agency would honor the injunction.”
The Justice Department didn’t respond to a request for comment Friday, but Homeland Security officials said Mr. Johnson has asked his department’s inspector general to investigate what went wrong.
Judge Hanen had already been pondering whether to sanction the Justice Department lawyers after they admitted to misleading him – they said inadvertently – on more than 100,000 amnesty applications approved between the Nov. 20 date Mr. Obama announced the new program and the Feb. 16 date the judge issued his injunction.
Thursday’s filing, however, appears to be worse, since it breaks a direct injunction…
The lawyers also had to correct a previous number they’d given the court, when they’d said just 55 applications had been approved in the immediate aftermath of the injunction. The actual number, the lawyers admitted, was 72. They blamed “additional errors.”
Judge Hanen said he was surprised that the three-year applications were being approved, since he thought the administration had told him none of the new program was in effect. Justice Department lawyers said they hadn’t mean to mislead him, and had included in their briefing papers documents showing that the three-year approvals were to take effect last November – but apologized nonetheless for leaving the wrong impression.
What a complete and total crock…
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott blasted the Obama administration Friday after Justice Department attorneys admitted the administration violated a federal court order by granting about 2,000 extended work permits to illegal immigrants.
“After months of obfuscation and stall tactics by the Obama administration, the president’s lawyers, have been forced to admit that they acted outside the law by implementing president’s executive amnesty – even after a federal judge had ordered them to stop,” Abbott said in a statement.
Texas is leading a multi-state lawsuit to stop President Barack Obama’s executive actions from November to shield about five million illegal immigrants from deportation. In February, U.S. District Judge Andrew S. Hanen issued an injunction to halt much of the order.
But late Thursday, Justice Department attorneys admitted to Judge Hanen that the Department of Homeland Security had approved about 2,000 applications for three-year work permits.
“The government sincerely regrets these circumstances and is taking immediate steps to remedy these erroneous three-year terms,” the administration lawyers said.
However Abbott sees the admission as part of a pattern.
“Not only did President Obama’s executive action violate the U.S. Constitution; his lawyers’ actions show a blatant disregard for the rule of law that has become typical of this administration and directly violates one of the fundamental principles upon which our nation was founded,” Abbott continued.