Islamic terrorist groups are operating in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez and planning to attack the United States with car bombs or other vehicle born improvised explosive devices (VBIED). High-level federal law enforcement, intelligence and other sources have confirmed to Judicial Watch that a warning bulletin for an imminent terrorist attack on the border has been issued. Agents across a number of Homeland Security, Justice and Defense agencies have all been placed on alert and instructed to aggressively work all possible leads and sources concerning this imminent terrorist threat.
Specifically, Judicial Watch sources reveal that the militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) is confirmed to now be operating in Juarez, a famously crime-infested narcotics hotbed situated across from El Paso, Texas. Violent crimes are so rampant in Juarez that the U.S. State Department has issued a number of travel warnings for anyone planning to go there. The last one was issued just a few days ago.
Intelligence officials have picked up radio talk and chatter indicating that the terrorist groups are going to “carry out an attack on the border,” according to one JW source. “It’s coming very soon,” according to this high-level source, who clearly identified the groups planning the plots as “ISIS and Al Qaeda.” An attack is so imminent that the commanding general at Ft. Bliss, the U.S. Army post in El Paso, is being briefed, another source confirms. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) did not respond to multiple inquiries from Judicial Watch, both telephonic and in writing, about this information.
The disturbing inside intelligence comes on the heels of news reports revealing that U.S. intelligence has picked up increased chatter among Islamist terror networks approaching the 13th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. While these terrorists reportedly plan their attack just outside the U.S., President Obama admits that “we don’t have a strategy yet” to combat ISIS. “I don’t want to put the cart before the horse,” the commander-in-chief said this week during a White House press briefing. “I think what I’ve seen in some of the news reports suggest that folks are getting a little further ahead of what we’re at than what we currently are.”
The administration has also covered up, or at the very least downplayed, a serious epidemic of crime along the Mexican border even as heavily armed drug cartels have taken over portions of the region. Judicial Watch has reported that the U.S. Border Patrol actually ordered officers to avoid the most crime-infested stretches because they’re “too dangerous” and patrolling them could result in an “international incident” of cross border shooting. In the meantime, who could forget the famous words of Obama’s first Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano; the southern border is “as secure as it has ever been.”
These new revelations are bound to impact the current debate about the border crisis and immigration policy.
Prime Minister David Cameron pledged Friday to plug gaps in Britain’s armory to combat terror, describing the extremist threat posed by the Islamic State group as being more dangerous than even that of al-Qaida.
Cameron’s remarks came just moments after authorities raised Britain’s terror threat level to severe, the second highest level. The decision was related to developments in Iraq and Syria, but there was no information to suggest an attack was imminent.
“What we are facing in Iraq now with ISIL is a greater threat to our security than we have seen before,” Cameron said, using an abbreviation for a longer name the Islamic State previously used: the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant.
He told reporters that while the Taliban facilitated al-Qaida terrorism, the Islamic State group is “effectively a state run by terrorists.” He said the ambition to create an Islamist caliphate is not something that could be ignored.
“We could be facing a terrorist state on the shores of the Mediterranean and bordering a NATO member,” he said.
Intelligence and security services now believe some 500 Britons have gone to fight in Syria and potentially Iraq. Some of the plots are likely to involve fighters who have traveled from Britain and Europe to take part in fighting in the Middle East.
British police have appealed to the public to help identify aspiring terrorists after the killing of an American journalist focused attention on extremism in the U.K. The involvement of a person of British nationality in James Foley’s beheading underscored the need to identify those who might travel abroad to fight or are at risk of being radicalized.
The attack on a Jewish museum in Brussels also underscored the willingness of the members of the group to attack Europeans.
British authorities say around 70 arrests have been made in the first half of the year for a variety of offenses, including fundraising, preparing for terrorism acts and traveling abroad for terrorist training. The police say such arrests are being made at a rate five times greater than 2013.
One action Cameron outlined was the possibility that passports could be taken away. He said further measures would be described in the House of Commons on Monday.
Britain also wants to revive a directive to enable police and security services to share passenger records in the European Union. Concerns about civil liberties have stalled the measure in the European Parliament.
“The root cause of this threat to our security is quite clear,” Cameron said. “It is a poisonous ideology of Islamist extremism that is condemned by all faiths and faith leaders.”
Britain raised the country’s terror threat level from substantial to severe just before Cameron held his news conference. The threat level means a terrorist attack is considered highly likely.
Home Secretary Theresa May said the decision by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Center was made on the basis of intelligence and independent of the Cameron and his Cabinet. “Severe” is the second-highest of five levels.
The last time the rate was raised to severe was in September 2010 – in response to the attempt to detonate a bomb on a U.S. passenger plane over Detroit. It was last raised to the highest level, or critical, in June 2007, after a car on fire was driven into the Glasgow Airport terminal building and – separately – two devices were found in cars in central London.
On July 7, 2005, four suicide bombers attacked the London transit system at rush hour and killed 52 commuters and injured hundreds.
As ISIS militants were bragging about their latest mass execution, President Obama admitted that he has no plan for combatting the bloodthirsty terrorists.
“We don’t have a strategy yet,” Obama said in a Thursday news conference.
The startling – and troubling – admission came hours after videos surfaced showing the militants marching at least 150 Syrian soldiers through the desert – stripped to their underwear and barefoot.
The troops were then executed, their bullet-riddled and slashed bodies arranged in a crescent moon that stretched across the desert.
“Yes, we have executed them all,” an ISIS fighter told Reuters.
Hours after the disturbing images were released, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said the NYPD was keeping an eye on the Middle East. He was particularly concerned about American jihadists – some from our area – returning to wreak havoc back home.
“We are watching that very closely,” Bratton said, adding that more than 100 Americans are believed on the ground and with ties to terror groups abroad.
At least two Americans were killed in Syria last weekend, as they fought alongside ISIS militants.
The slain soldiers in the barbaric images released Thursday were captured while attempting to flee the Tabqa airfield after ISIS militants stormed the base, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The apparent death march, posted to an ISIS YouTube account, is believed to have led to the largest mass killing carried out by the terror group.
The sickening footage opens with the half-naked men walking single file with their hands behind their heads.
An ISIS fighter repeatedly shouts out, “Islamic State!”
The prisoners respond immediately.
“It shall remain!”
The video then fades to black, but the footage that appears seconds later is horrifying. The camera follows a pile of bodies lying face-down in the sand. A dozen fighters are seen standing over the corpses as the cameraman moves from body to body.
At least 150 corpses can be seen in the video. The jihadists boasted on Twitter that they killed 250 soldiers, but that figure couldn’t be verified. An earlier video appears to show the same men, still clad in their underwear, being marched through the desert at gunpoint.
They are seen being forced to to walk and run. Those at the back of the line are kicked and beaten.
The soldiers were rounded up in the arid countryside near the Tabqa airfield on Wednesday – three days after ISIS fighters seized the base.
The troops were among a large batch of soldiers who were trapped behind the front lines after the merciless militants overran the airfield.
Some 200 Syrian soldiers and 346 ISIS fighters died in the fight for the air base, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Hundreds more were wounded.
The Syrian government did not comment on the videos.
The stomach-churning footage marked the latest images released by a group that’s relied on a mix of bloody propaganda and brutal battlefield tactics to swallow up territory in Syria and Iraq. The Sunni extremists, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant or ISIL, are said to control roughly a third of Syria.
Rep. Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, was stunned by Obama’s “no strategy” admission.
“It was an odd press conference at the very best, but to have a press conference to say we don’t have a stategy was really shocking given the severity of the threat,” Rogers said on CNN.
Sen. Mitch McConnell, (R-Ken.) said Congress is ready to help the president form a strategy to defeat ISIS.
“But don’t forget, the threat from ISIL is real and it’s growing – and it is time for President Obama to exercise some leadership in launching a response,” McConnell said.
Following Obama’s press conference, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a chief critic of the White House’s foreign policy, tweeted, “ISIS is largest, richest terrorist group in history & 192,000 dead in #Syria.”
In other developments Thursday:
ISIS has more than $2 billion – more than other terror groups like the Taliban and Hezbollah, InTheCapital.com reported. While thought in January to have about 1,000 fighters, the number has ballooned to about 80,000.
-Sources revealed to the Washington Post that James Foley, the American journalist beheaded by Islamic fighters, was waterboarded while in captivity.
-Syrian rebel fighters captured more than 40 United Nations peacekeepers near the Israeli border Thursday.
-It was revealed that Fort Hood gunman Nidal Hasan, imprisoned for killing 13 people at the Texas Army base in 2009, wrote a letter to the leader of ISIS saying he wants to become a “citizen” of the caliphate.
The contents of an ISIS laptop seized by Syrian fighters were revealed. The laptop, found in January in the province of Idlib, contained manuals on how to make bombs, videos of Osama Bin Laden and lessons about biological weapons, according to Foreign Policy magazine.
“The advantage of biological weapons is that they do not cost a lot of money, while the human casualties can be huge,” states one of the laptop’s more than 35,000 files.
In his Thursday news conference, Obama said he’s planning to dispatch Secretary of State Kerry to the Middle East in a bid to persuade America’s allies in the region to confront the terror group.
But Obama cautioned that immediate military action in Syria was unlikely.
“I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. We don’t have a strategy yet,” Obama said, noting that he would be meeting with the National Security Council later Thursday.
“We need to make sure that we’ve got clear plans, that we’re developing them.”